Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Andouille & Mesa Grits

Taken from Bobby Flay’s television show, Grill It! This is Andouille Sausage, Mesa Grits and Scrambled Eggs - a terrific brunch from off the grill! Andouille (pronounced Ann Do Wee) Sausage is Cajun. It is made from smoked pork, pepper, onion, wine and spices that make it flavorful with a kick. I scrambled the eggs with cream, Monterey Jack cheese, kosher salt and ground black pepper in the big cast iron skillet on the grill. Next to the skillet I had the Andouilles grilling and sizzling. Meanwhile, Dorothy prepared the Mesa Grill Grits from the Bobby Flay Mesa Grill Cookbook (page 265). Dorothy is from Brooklyn, but she does love the southern delicacy of grits, especially cheese grits. Bobby’s version adds cream, garlic, and fresh chopped cilantro. I must admit that those grits were the best thing on the plate. The hot-spice of the Andouilles was perfectly tamed by the smooth creamy grits.   

Go Team USA! It won't be like 1980, but it will be cool to see the USA Hockey Team take the gold on Canadian ice. In 1980, professionals could not play and no Soviet Union players played in the NHL. So really the USSR team in 1980 was the best pro team in the world while the USA team was a bunch of college kids. When they beat the Soviet team, it was as if the Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints  lost to the University of Northern Iowa - it was that big. And that doesn't even factor in all the cold war tensions. We are not at the brink of war with Canada, and most of the Team Canada players play here in the USA on NHL teams - so it is no where near the same - but still it would be cool. 


Paul

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

That hockey game was terrific... sad to see anyone win, they both played so well!