Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Super Burger

Since the Super Bowl was played in Miami, we celebrated the Saints win with Miami Burgers. This recipe is from Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries & Shakes book page 51. I started with excellent ground beef formed into patties, brushed with canola oil and seasoned generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper. After the burgers grilled on one side for about 4 minutes, I turned the burgers and topped them with slices of smoked Virginia ham and Swiss cheese. We always want the cheese to be completely melted, so I used Bobby’s Basting Cover method. I covered the burgers with a metal pan turned upside down right on the grill. The pan was deep enough so that the cheese did not touch the inside of the pan, but captured all the grill heat. This surrounded the burger with heat and smoke and melted the cheese thoroughly. I toasted some buns on the grill and served the burgers with mayo and dill pickles. Dorothy also prepared homemade coleslaw using Bobby’s recipe from Grill It! and her new processor.



YouTube. You can watch me grill the Miami Burgers on YouTube today!


http://www.youtube.com/user/dvcraig1101#p/u/7/UBPkkIKK99k


What was on? Before the Super Bowl we listened to an “LP Field Stadium Mix.” At the last Titans home game, Dorothy noted all the songs that were played at the game, and then downloaded them from itunes. It sounded like we were back at the game awaiting the kickoff. But here is the funny thing. I had never heard these songs in their entirety. At the game they play only a short portion of the song and only certain sections of the song. NFL rules prohibit music to be played over the PA system when the ball is in play. The big build-up music reaches its loudest at the kickoff, but as soon as the kicker’s foot touches the ball, the music fades out. After timeouts, the music must stop when a team breaks the huddle. All this is stuff you don’t know if you just watch on TV. So the mix we listened to before the game was only partially recognized music and less recognized titles but included:


All Star by Smash Mouth
Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne
We Will Rock You by Queen
Hey Ya! by OutKast
Whoomp! (There it is) by Tag Team
And of course…
Tubthumping by Chumbawamba


Super Bowl. Congratulations to the Saints! It was great that they won, but the victory was even sweeter since it was Payton’s fault that the Colts lost. Did you see the TV cut away shot of Manning after he threw the Pick6 – he was trying to blame it on his receiver. Although in truth Reggie Wayne gave up on the play too.


Followers Wanted. I know that many of you are reading Bobby Flay Everyday because I have been getting a lot of emails and guest recipe requests – so please consider becoming a Follower by using the Follower link. You will have to set up a Google account to become a Follower if you do not already have one.


The NFL season is over – but the grilling has just begun. Let me know what you think of the video at http://www.youtube.com/user/dvcraig1101#p/u/7/UBPkkIKK99k
Paul

No comments: