Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Santa Fe Burger

Santa Fe Burger from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Shakes book - page 63. This turned out to be an excellent cold night burger. I grilled the burgers the Bobby Flay way to begin with. Check out the video of me demonstrating the Bobby Flay burger grilling technique, including the use of a basting pan at http://www.youtube.com/user/dvcraig1101#p/a/u/2/UBPkkIKK99k


I began by roasting a Poblano Chili. Poblanos have a great taste when they are roasted - not over poweringly spicy - just great flavor. You roast a Poblano just like any other pepper. You place the pepper right in the flames. Turn it over and get both sides completely charred. Then you grab the pepper with tongs and place it in a plastic zip-lock type bag. While in the bag the pepper will sweat and cool. In about 15 minutes open the bag and the outer charred skin will just fall off, leaving you with a great roasted pepper. When the burgers were about done, I covered them in Pepper-Jack cheese and covered them with the basting pan so that the cheese would completely melt. Coming off the grill, I poured on some Queso Sauce, crumbled blue corn tortillas and, as you can see, two strips of roasted Poblanos. Those are Grilled Steak Fries in the background of the photo - also from the same book, page 91. The smooth Queso counteracted the spicy Pepper-Jack and all went together great with that perfectly grilled burger and those Poblanos. You need to try this recipe out for certain!


I have spent some time in Santa Fe, New Mexico. When I was there, I had wonderful Mexican food. I guess with all that great Mexican, I never tried a regular burger while I was there. I don't think this burger would stack up against the best Mexican food around - but it was still very good. The burger will do until you are in Santa Fe again.


Paul

No comments: