Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Grilled Crust on Steak

Just look at the crust on that steak! This is Spice-Rubbed Rib Eye with Bar Americain Steak Sauce. You can find the recipe for the steak and the sauce on page 30 of Bobby Flay's book titled Grill It! I made the spice rub first. It is ancho chili powder, sweet paprika, dried oregano, ground coriander, dry mustard, ground cumin, kosher salt and fresh ground black peppercorn. That is a lot of different spices, but it was not spicy hot. I am beginning to like ancho chili powder - I had never used it before about six weeks ago. Bobby says that its taste can be compared to a "spicy raisin." I brushed canola oil on both sides of the steak and then with a spoon I rubbed in the spices. When the fire was hot, I put the steaks on the grill, rub-side down and let the flame bake those spices right into the meat. About four minutes later I turned the steaks, closed the grill cover and let the grill do the rest of the work. The steak sauce was made with two kinds of mustard, Dijon and Whole-Grain, molasses, ketchup, honey, a dash of horseradish, salt and pepper. We are usually very skeptical of any kind of sauce or topping on our steaks. The steak and the steak rub grilled in should be more than enough - but this sauce is signature sauce of Bobby Flay's restaurant, Bar Americain so we went with it. As you can see, I used it as a dipping sauce and I ended up dipping every bite - it was that good. 

Bar Americain is located in Midtown Manhattan on 52nd street. Check out the location where this recipe and steak sauce originated: http://www.baramericain.com/

What to Drink? We went back to Argentina for a Puerto Viejo Malbec. It was very concentrated with great flavor. It was not to spicy which went great with the tame spices of the steak and the sauce. This Malbec came from Tim's Premium Wines and Spirits. His blog is http://www.chillwineandliquor.blogspot.com/
Today he sent out some Valentine's Day wine recommendations. Here is an excerpt-

Valentines Day- A day for wine and love.
 I have a few wine suggestions for this wonderful day. (or for any other time of the year)
 As a husband I always like to make sure my lady is happy. I have a sure wine choice for most women. Late Harvest Riesling, Riesling is a sweeter white that is sure to satisfy most ladies (or men).
 If your date is a more seasoned wine drinker I have a few seductive selections for a big Valentines Day.
 Chocolate Box Shiraz-$18.99ea. This is a big bold Barossa Valley Shiraz from Australia. It has hints of coffee, chocolate, blackberries and spice, with a bold finish. This is a great one for grilled meat and dark chocolate.
 Layer Cake Shiraz-$17.99ea. Again this is a 100% Australian Shiraz brimming with Raspberry fruit and a long layered finish. It's a great choice with dark chocolate or fondue.
 Menage A Trois Red- $12.99ea. If you are feeling a little daring, spring this little jewel on your loved one. It may be your lucky day. This is a blend of Cabernet, Merlot, and Zinfandel. This wine is fruit forward with fresh ripe jammy fruit and silky soft on the finish. It is an easy drinker. I love this little wine, it is sure to peak whatever you desire.
 I hope these suggestions will make your Valentines Day a special day.
 Thank you for your business.
Until next time, drink more wine.
Tim Miles - Premium Wines & Spirits
"Explaining the Miles of Wine"

These are terrific recommendations. We love Late Harvest Riesling (especially when it is warmer) and we have a bottle of Layer Cake ready for Valentine's Day already to go.

If you can't get to Bar Americain tonight - light your grill. I will!
Paul
PS - The Super Bowl Burger Grilling is on YouTude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/dvcraig1101#p/a/u/1/UBPkkIKK99k



No comments: