Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Steak Sandwich

From Bobby Flay Cooks American page 37, this is a Steak Sandwich on Toasted Garlic Bread with Cheddar, Tomato-Olive relish and Skillet fries. This all started with a stop at Tag'z Five Star Meats for a couple of New York Strips. Mike's steaks are always the best in town. Look at the blog titled Tag'z from back in January to learn more and see the photos. The relish was quick and easy to fix. I chopped tomatoes, and mixed them with black olives, basil leaves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt and ground pepper. I put the relish aside so all those flavors could work their way into each other. Then I prepared the Skillet Fries. I first partially cooked some sliced potatos. When they were cool enough to handle, I cut them into smaller cubes. I slices a red and yellow bell pepper and chopped a red onion. I placed the big cast iron skillet on the grill after brushing a light coating of olive oil and let it heat up. I tossed in the onion first to get it started, then all the other ingredients - plus more olive oil with salt and pepper.

The potatos ended up with a hash brown-type texture. The peppers blended well and it smelled wonderful sizzling all together next to the steaks. When the steaks were done, I let them rest before slicing them into strips. In the meantime, I toasted a hoagie roll with garlic butter on an upper grate of the grill. Next, I put slices of the steak under sharp cheddar cheese and put it all back on the grill to melt. Finally, I topped the steak and cheese with the relish, put the Skillet Fries/Peppers on the side and it was dinner time!

Weather Report: It is still cold and windy. I have a fellow blogger and follower in
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. He is grilling tonight in much better weather! His blog is My Year on the Grill. Check it out http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/

No matter your Latitude - when you grill - its a good day.
Paul

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

YOW!

Now this is a sandwich


Great posts you are doing, very happy every time I look in!

One BF recipe I am using all the time now, in his book on burgers, he makes a salt/lime zest mix. You will never go back, give it a shot. i just made some shrimp and put it on