Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Red Wine BBQ Sauce

I saw this recipe on Bobby Flay's TV show Grill It! It is grilled salmon with a Red Wine Barbecue sauce and dried cherries. The topping is a hazelnut and honey butter. To make the Red Wine sauce Bobby's recipe calls for a mixture of molasses, brown sugar, honey, chipotle and ancho chili powder and of course red wine. I put all these in a small metal sauce pan and heated it up on the grill until it was simmering. The liquids boiled off for about 15 minutes leaving this rich, thick sauce. I put the salmon, skin side down, on the grill grates. I usually grill salmon on a cedar plank, but using Bobby's "Grill Perfect Salmon" directions, I put it right on the grill. The worry is that the salmon will flake apart - but it doesn't do that it you leave the salmon on one side long enough for the skin to char and get a crust. After that happens, turn the salmon slowly and carefully and it stays together. I wanted an internal temperature of 140, but before it got that done, I turned the salmon one more time and brushed on the sauce. The salmon reached 140 with a bubbly layer of the Red Wine sauce. I added the dried cherries to the sauce in the process and once the salmon was on the plate I poured the rest of the sauce, including the cherries over the salmon and topped it off with the hazelnut-honey butter. The distinct flavor of salmon blended perfectly with the red wine sauce and those cherries. 


What to Drink? The Red Wine for the dinner and the sauce was the Wine of the Week at Tim's Premium  Wines and Spirits - The Roogle Red from Southeastern Australia. One of Bobby's rules is that you must cook with wine that is also good enough to drink. The Roogle obeyed this rule. Tim Miles, the owner of Premium wine is now also on blogspot. Please check him out at http://www.chillwineandliquor.blogspot.com You will learn about wine from Tim's blog titled "Explaining the Miles of Wine."


Weather Report. LIFR (Low Instrument Flight Rules) - low cloud ceiling, extremely poor visibility, and drizzle from stratus clouds.


The clouds are not so low however that we can't find our way back to the grill!
Paul

No comments: