Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Open Face Steak

Open-Faced Steak Sandwiches on Rosemary/Olive Oil Bread with aged Provolone and Caramelized Onions - from Bobby Flay's book Grill It! page 37. Is there anything better than a Ribeye sandwich? I brushed olive oil on both sides of the steak and ground on a generous layer of pepper and salt. I sliced a red onion into strips and tossed them in a small pan with Balsamic Vinegar. That pan went right on the grill so it would start simmering the flavor into the onions. The steaks sizzled up perfectly with the pepper forming an outside crust. Just what you want for a steak - crispy outside, tender inside. When the steaks were done, I brought them off the grill and under a foil tent to rest. While the steak juices were collecting in the meat during the rest, I toasted the bread and melted Provolone over the slices. The onions came out of the Balsamic Vinegar and directly on the grill so they would be crispy as well. The Balsamic gave them a sweet flavor but the grill fire made sure they were not soggy. We piled up all the ingredients, parsley on top and we were all set. 

What to Drink? The wine of the week this week at Tim's Premium Wines is Chilensis Reserva Carmenere. If you have never tried a Carmenere you must put it on your list. Carmenere's come almost exclusively from Chile. This particular one is from the Maule Valley - which is south of Santiago - and therefore right in the earthquake zone. That 8.8 earthquake that hit on Saturday had its epicenter in the ocean, just off the coast from where this wine was produced. Carmenere's are all about big flavor and this one was another great example. It is fruity, but dried fruit, not sweet. It has a deep ruby color that light can't quite manage to get through. It was great with the steak. Steak and Red Wine is the greatest grill/grape combination. 

The USA didn't win the hockey game - but it was a great game. When the overtime started, everyone knew that the next goal would produce a hero good for the next 20 years. We were going to see live a shot that, like Eruzione's shot against the Soviets, would be replayed the rest of our lives. And that is exactly what happened - but not from one of Eruzione's countrymen. Interesting that all the Canadian goals were scored by players from American NHL teams. Dorothy didn't think something was right about that. 

An Olympic Gold Medal Sudden Death Goal was uncertain - but a Grill Goal is something you can count on. Paul

No comments: