Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Grilled French Toast

This is borrowed from a recent episode of Thowdown with Bobby Flay. Bobby challenged a restaurant owner in New Jersey that specialized in a stuffed french toast brunch. Bobby actually lost this Throwdown, but his version of french toast inspired this version. I started by breaking some eggs, adding cream and a little maple syrup. I soaked some whole wheat bread in the egg mix and heated up a cast iron skillet on the grill. Dorothy mixed together some cream cheese and cream for the filling. The french toast hit the skillet with a sizzle. When the toast was done we added blueberries to the filling then stacked it all up. The other guy on Throwdown cut a pocket in thick bread for his filling. Bobby put his filling between two slices of the french toast, and that is what we did. We sifted on some powdered sugar, poured on more syrup and we were ready for a great brunch!

New Feature here at Bobby Flay Everyday! This blog is now an Amazon Associate. As you know, when I fix a Bobby Flay recipe from one of his books, I always give the title of the book and the page where that recipe can be found. Unless you have the book of course, it would be hard to follow the exact recipe - until now. You can buy the Bobby Flay books and DVDs that are used here at Bobby Flay Everyday by linking to Amazon from this page. And best of all, you get a discount when you go through my blog. Just check out the lower right column of the blog! Thanks for this tip Dave - so sorry about the Jayhawks...

The first day of Spring brought snow in the mid-west and rain to Tennessee - lots of rain. Not to worry, when I get the grill fired up and close the hood, the rain just steams away. In the last 77 days I have grilled when it was 9 degrees, I grilled during a thunderstorm, and in the snow - today in the rain. I probably have forgotten how to grill when it is sunny and 80 - but I'll give it my best shot if/when that weather ever happens again. Paul 



No comments: