Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Maple Chicken

From Grill It! (page 73) this is Bobby Flay's Grilled Chicken breast with Tangerine-Maple-Black pepper glaze. I first put a sauté on some chopped red onions. They smell great when sizzling up in canola oil in the skillet over the grill. Once the onions were tender, I added in Orange Zest and Orange Juice and sprigs of Thyme. All that came to a boil and then simmered until it reduced and thickened. I let that cool but not for very long, because I stirred in Maple Syrup. This formed the glaze that I brushed on the chicken in the last few minutes. This turned out to have a hot-tangy taste that terrific. 

Wisdom of the Grill. Some grillers make a tragic mistake of putting on barbeque sauces and glazes on the meat too early. These sauces and glazes have sugar in them and sugar will burn quickly. If you put the sauce or glaze on too soon, it will just make a charred-burned mess. You want some caramelization and some crispyness to the sauce or glaze – but you don’t want it blackened. Use a grill brush and get your timing down.

What was on? The Oscars. I think Sandra Bullock is great, by I think her winning was an upset and probably somewhat of a reach. We usually try to see all the films nominated for best picture, but this year there were just too many of them - ten. Last year when their were only five, the biggest selling movie, the Dark Knight was not nominated - it was #6 and therefore didn't make the cut. That sent the Dark Knight's large audience to watching other shows on Oscar night, so this year they didn't make that same "mistake" and they brought in every film that had sold any tickets at all. It was watered down. That being said, we need to go see The Hurt Locker.

The grill is nominated and wins every year!
Paul

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

agree about the 10 films to draw an audience... But I did love Sandra's film... And her husband makes such a fun couple to watch.

And the sauce is terrific with this chicken. I have made it and loved it!