Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Horseradish

From Bobby Flay’s Grill It! (Page 27) this is Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Horseradish sauce. The sauce is a combination of Horseradish, sour cream and chives. When it came to food, my father once called me a “Young-Foogie” (not an Old-Foogie) because I didn’t try a lot of different things. I guess horseradish was one of those things. I didn’t need to try horseradish, because I knew before trying it that I would not like it. Guess what – I don’t like horseradish – I was right all along. But in this sauce the bite of the horseradish is tempered by the sour cream. I really don’t like sour cream, that much by itself either – but together on a Rib Eye it really is a great blend of flavors. I made the sauce first and put it in the fridge for about an hour while I got everything else ready. The Rib Eye was grilled the Booby Flay way – canola oil on both sides with a generous dusting of Kosher salt and ground pepper. The salt, but especially the pepper together with flame, forms a crust on the outside of the steak – perfect. When the steaks came off the grill, I let them rest first, then dobbed on the sauce. I added some fresh thyme and this became a steak meal that could have been served in the finest steakhouses nationwide. When you grill with Bobby Flay you gotta have an open mind to new ingredients and especially new spices. I am now a Horseradish user.


What was on? Jackson Browne. It had been awhile since I had listened to The Pretender. It’s a great song and great album about hard work and struggle but about never giving up. It’s a look at life’s tough journey.


“Caught between the longing for love
And the struggle for the legal tender”


I think singer-song writers tell the best stories. Maybe I think that because I am from Nashville, but no matter where you are from you must agree that Jackson Browne is one of the best singer-song writers of any genre and in any time.


“And when the morning light comes streaming in
I’ll get up and do it again. Amen”


Grill it again – Amen

2 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I am not a fan at all of horseradish. to the point that I would have never tried this recipe... good for you for being a completest and finding a new recipe for you to enjoy!

Dr. Grill/Chill said...

Ok Honesty, Horseradish is still not my favorite!