Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spicy and Smooth



Maybe we were being too optimistic, but we celebrated the temperature rising above freezing with Bobby's Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad with Smoked Chili-Buttermilk Dressing (Boy Meets Grill page 44). The chicken was grilled with constant basting using Mesa Barbecue Sauce (page 29) that contains Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, honey and cayenne to name a few. The dressing turned out really great as well. It was like a ranch but with a real kick because among other things it contains is chipotle pepper. I would recommend this meal, but I will try it again when the weather gets warm. Salad on a cold night didn't sound right at first - but the Mesa Barbecue Sauce made it a winter treat.


What to drink? We paired the salad with Kendall-Jackson's California Chardonnay. This was the first white wine on the site but it went very well. Some chardonnay's are too tart and citrus, but this one was smooth and buttery. This white wine offset and cooled off the cayenne in the barbecue sauce and the chipotle in the dressing. This may be the first white wine we enjoyed with a Bobby Flay grill recipe, but we are always partial to California no matter which grape we chose.


What was on? John Mayer - the Battle Studies CD. I really like John Mayer, but I will need to listen to this again. I was working on the grill and was not able to study the lyrics. His previous album, Continuum was terrific - as a pilot I understand Gravity. Dorothy and I went to see John Mayer last year in concert and I think we were the oldest people there. I know we were the only ones there who remembers holding up a lit match instead of a cell phone to encourage an encore. Back then 'high tech' meant holding up a cigarette lighter instead of a match. We saw countless examples of the new art form - "Facebook Foto." An FF is where one person holds their digital camera at arms length, aims the lens back at themselves and at least one other person leans in for the shot. Since you can only guess at the frame position, most of the shots have only half of someone's head or just a nose. But this seems to be part of the art. There is even a camera now that has a view screen on both sides so that it is easier to frame up an FF. Whether properly cropped or not these photos appear on Facebook pages before the end of the concert. To these kids, the music was secondary - what was more important was to electronically document that they were there at all. It is just a new social dynamic - but that doesn't mean that its bad. Everyone was having fun and nobody got burned by a cigarette lighter. Check John Mayer out at http://www.johnmayer.com/


Here is to more smooth music, smooth wine and spicy Bobby Flay grill selections!


Paul


No comments: