Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Skewers


Food grilled on a stick can't be beat. From Boy Meets Grill (page 50) this is Red-Hot Marinated Chicken Skewers with Yogurt-Cilantro Sauce. The Red-Hot marinade had ancho chilies, cayenne, cumin mixed with honey and orange juice. I cut the chicken into chunks - the right size for the skewers - and put them in the marinade for a couple hours. The fun part was just assembling the parts on the skewers. We used the chicken out of the marinade, chunks of onion and three colors of pepper. The skewers get brushed one more time with the marinade before the hit the grill. I put all the extra peppers and onion chunks in a grill basket and let the grill do the rest of the work. When everything was done, we added steamed brown rice and tortillas. I rolled one tortilla with all these ingredients and drizzled over the sauce. Dorothy ate hers open face. It was a hot/cold sensation!


Weather Report. I finally got to grill at a temperature that was above freezing!


What to drink? Big taste like these (with plenty of heat) needs a big spicy wine to stand up to it. We love Zinfindel from "old vines" when we want the big flavor. This time is was Gnarly Head. The vines are 80 years old and at that age become twisted and well, gnarly. The old vines produce small grapes, but that means the flavor is concentrated and that is what produces the big spicy flavor.


What was on? Brad Paisley. He has two songs I really like. The first is great for a blogger. It features the lyrics I'm so much cooler Online. The second is Welcome to the Future. It is a story about how far we have come. His grandfather fought the Japanese in WWI, but now we do video chats with people in Tokyo. When we were kids we wished we could watch TV on long family vacation drives and have a Pac-Man game at home, now we have all that on our phone. A friend on his high school football team had a cross burned on this front lawn for asking out the homecoming queen, now we have a national holiday to celebrate the man with a dream.


Hey, everyday is a revolution
Welcome to the Future


Hey, wake up Martin Luther
Welcome to the Future
Hey, glory, glory, hallelujah
Welcome to the Future


Check it out at http://bradpaisley.musiccitynetworks.com/
It's a great way to kickoff the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend!


Paul

No comments: