Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Roasted Garlic


Grilled Chicken with Roasted Garlic-Oregano Vinaigrette and Grilled Fingerling Potatoes (from Grill It! page 68). The vinaigrette called for roasted garlic so I took a whole garlic clove and cut off the bottom. Then I wrapped the garlic, together with some olive oil in a square of foil, and roasted it during the first half of the first playoff game - about an hour. Once it was done and cool enough to handle the garlic itself just slipped out of the peel. I threw the roasted garlic into a processor with white wine vinegar, honey, red chili flakes and a bunch of fresh cut oregano. Once it was all chopped up, I added olive oil and kosher salt and let it just sit during the second half. Later, during the second playoff game, when the chicken and potatoes came off the grill, I drizzled the vinaigrette over it all. That roasted garlic together with the oregano and red pepper made the chicken savory but with a kick. 


Weather Report. I don't know if it will ever stop raining. My next door neighbor is building an arc.


What to drink? It was chicken with olive oil and spices so we paired the Blackstone Chardonnay from central California. The wine was cool and smooth. The chicken was hot and spicy so it was a great counter balance. A white wine but a great match even when it was cold outside.


What was on? They say that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I guess that is why I was routing for the Jets and it looked pretty good for a while. I didn't know who to be for in the second game, so it was fortunate that it was a good game. I have never been a big Favre fan, but you gotta like an old guy getting pounded and getting back up. I have never been a big Saints fan, but you gotta love a team fighting for a city and going where they have never gone before - the Super Bowl. It would have been better if Favre had been playing for the Saints. It seemed he could have landed anywhere after leaving the Jets and Packers. But the Saints have a great QB already and he got the last laugh. In the end Favre was Favre. He threw the INT instead of sliding and kicking the game winning field goal. He did the same thing in the same game three years ago for the Packers. I have seen every Super Bowl since number I (actually the first Super Bowl was not called Super Bowl I. It was called the NFL-AFL Championship game), so I will watch this one as well, but since the enemy of my enemy is my friend, I will hope the Saints go marching.


There is a break in the rain forecasted - but not a break in the grilling streak!
Paul  

No comments: