Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Quattro Formaggi


Bobby said that this hamburger could be called Quattro Formaggi, but its real name is Four-Cheese Burger from Bobby Flay's newest book of Burgers, Fries and Shakes page 42. I first tried to grill the perfect burger using all the burger techniques discussed in previous blog entries. When the burgers were about 80% done I put on a slice of sharp cheddar, then a slice of tomato, then Colby-Jack and finally American cheese over the top. I then covered the burgers with a basting cover to surround the burger and cheeses with direct heat - just look at all that cheese melting together around that tomato! I also grilled the burger buns and some steak fries plus the finishing touch - a layer of shaved Parmesan - the fourth cheese. Wow, this is a terrific burger. 


What was on? There is only one song that could possible go with a four-cheese cheeseburger...
Cheeseburger in paradise
Makin' the best of every virtue and vice
Worth every damn bit of sacrifice
To get a cheeseburger in paradise - Jimmy Buffett


What to drink? Today was a very special day. I got a package delivered from Sonoma, California. When I opened it it was like during the movie A Christmas Story, when Ralphie's father opened the MAJOR AWARD. I even said to Dorothy, "Fra-gee-lee!"  In the box was not a Leg Lamp - something better. Red Truck Wine merchandise! Winery Swag! The great folks at Red Truck had seen the review I wrote on this blog and sent me some free stuff.

Check it out - a Red Truck Wines ski cap for grilling outside in winter weather, a Red Truck Wine bottle opener, and a replica of the actual Red Truck Wine truck! A Major Award! I ran right over to Tim's Premium wines to show him the stuff and buy two more bottles - one Red Truck and one White Truck. That red is gone already - I aged it as long as it took to get back home to the grill. That blend of Sonoma Red was beyond perfect for the Quattro Formaggi. I strongly encourage you to get some Red Truck and you will discover your own Major Award. 


Try this idea. Get the Bottle Shock Experience for Valentine's Day. Bottle Shock is the name of a movie about how California wines received worldwide acclaim back in the 1970s. The movie Sideways was funny, but Bottle Shock is better because its based on a true story. Paul Kalemkiarian's Wine of the Month Club is offering a great deal. You can order Bottle Shock on DVD and also get a bottle of Chardonnay from Chateau Montelena - the wine that put California on the world wine map. Go to
http://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/product/bsp/wine-accessories to order. Then on Valentines Day, fire up the grill, open the wine and watch the movie. On February 15th you will be thanking me!


Cheeseburger, Red Truck and Bottle Shock in paradise!
Paul

1 comment:

gabbib said...

ok- has mason seen this?
we are planning our annual valentines to do with our pals, but i know i'd rather have this menu than the same old we go to...
i will send him this and hope for the best.