Welcome to Bobby Flay Everyday!

I am not an expert. I have never even taken a class. I have no formal training - but I love to grill. I love the food off the grill and I just like the idea, the fun and the relaxation of grilling. So naturally Bobby Flay is a hero. I have his books, I watch his shows and I try out his recipes. So my idea is to grill one of Bobby's grilling recommendations everyday and see how it goes. Bobby Flay Everyday!

The idea to grill and blog is not original. Julie Powell wrote a blog that became a book and then a movie when she cooked all 524 recipes from Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. But this is not French Cooking - this is backyard, after work, tailgate, American male grilling. I grill outside in a man-cave in every kind of weather. There is no "grilling season" for me - its everyday, year-round. We will skip around through Bobby's books and TV shows and grill what we like. But grilling is more than food, its an experience - so we will also report on what music we listened to or what ball game was on while we were grilling. We will keep track of what we were drinking during the grilling and later with the food. I'll try to figure what went wrong when we fall short of Bobby's perfection and pass on any tips I know about or discover along the way. Maybe it will give others some ideas as well.

The photo is of me and two of my brother-in-laws roasting the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill last year. That's me on the far right. In real life I am a college professor and pilot. I have written 12 books, but they were all about flying - here we write about grilling. We write about Bobby Flay Everyday!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Spanish Spice Steaks

From Grill It! by Bobby Flay (page 34), this is Spanish Spice-Rubbed Steak with Red Wine Vinegar Steak Sauce. There are very few things better in this world than a sizzling New York Strip on the grill! About 15 minutes before grill time, I took the steaks out of the fridge. The steaks came from Tag'z Five Star Meats earlier in the day, so they had not been in the fridge very long, but you still want to bring them to near room temperature before they hit the grill. I put together the Spanish Spice rub with paprika, cumin, dry mustard, ground pepper and just a little olive oil. With the back of a spoon I rubbed the spices into one side of the meat. With spices this big, you shouldn't rub on both sides - one side is plenty - remember it's the steak, not the spices that should be the star of the show. The steak sauce took a little longer, but was well worth the time. I first roasted some red bell peppers, then chopped them up. Into a processor went the red peppers, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, molasses, Worcestershire, Kosher salt and ground pepper. The processor turned all of this into a thin sauce - but I didn't want a thin sauce, so I put it all in a small pan over the grill and let it reduce down until thick. You can see the consistency of the sauce in the photo and also see that red pepper color. It was all excellent together - steak - sauce - rub!

Wisdom of the grill. With a little knowledge and some practice you can get a lot of function out of a grill. It doesn't have to be just meat over flame. A grill can be like an oven, like a fryer, like a toaster and it can also be a steamer. The veggies in the photo were steamed on the grill. Given a choice between veggies and a hunk of meat - I take the meat. I think veggies are just garnish to the real meal. But if you must do veggies, you should at least do them right. I first took green beans, carrots, califlower and brocoli, put some butter spray over them, added salt and ground pepper and tossed them in my open grill skillet. Its an "open" skillet because it has small holes all over the bottom to allow direct heat up through. The veggies stayed in the skillet only a short time. I pulled out two sheets of foil, added more butter spray and then scooped the veggies onto the center of the foil. I added more butter, salt and pepper, then folded the foil over enclosing the veggies in a packet. The packets went right back on the grill. After about two minutes I flipped the packets and poked holes in the top of the foil with a fork. When I did this steam came streaming out of the holes. I left the packets on the grill - steaming - for another five minutes. Be careful when you unfold the foil - the remaining steam will be ready to escape. The veggies went right from foil packets to the plate in one step. We have a regular, in-house, veggie steamer, but when we use it the veggie flavor seems to leave with the steam, and its difficult to season the veggies over boiling water. The on-the-grill foil method traps the flavor and holds the seasoning. Like I said, if you must have veggies, you might as well do it right!

Grilling - its all about doing it right! Paul

No comments: